Sunday, June 7, 2009

Time flies when you're...having a garage sale.

Recently I changed positions at work and am now only working 32 hours a week. It's pretty great! But somehow, I seem to spend that time doing work I don't get paid for. This week it was a garage sale.

My oldest sister Trilby and my sister-in-law Kerry REALLY wanted Tanner and I to open our garage doors for a garage sale this year...oh yeah, and they said I could sell our stuff too if I wanted. For some reason I agreed. Little did I know exactly how many hours would be put into preperation. Tanner and I prepared the garage by sweeping and hanging tarp to cover the things of ours that weren't for sale. Tanner picked up 2 loads of tables from his school. Trilby had been storing totes at our house for a month and brought more! Kerry and Travis (my brother) brought a cattle trailer mostly full of stuff! And we ...had 3 measely totes and a vacuum. I worked for several hours on Thursday night helping Trilby sort. Then all day and night Friday doing more sorting and pricing. Then held the sale Saturday all day. And of course, it RAINED and hardly any of our shit sold. [I appologize for swearing, but after that much work, I had a little anger built up.] Tanner and I sold $15 worth of stuff, but spent $6 buying Trilby & Kerry's things. This is what our garage looked like stuffed full of tables.

What did we learn? #1 Never have a garage sale again. #2 When we do have a garage sale again, set rules for the number of items each person can bring and what we are willing to help with in preparation. #3 pay for an ad in the newspaper because apparently not everyone is addicted to Craigslist like we are.

However, the weekend wasn't all bad. We just returned from my cousin's house, where we were helping to celebrate their now 2 year old son Evan's birthday. He was given a kid's ride-on four wheeler (not from us) to match his daddy's four wheeler. It was a little scary seeing him drive it around not knowing how to stear, but also hillarious seeing the smile on his face. He loved it! We enjoy spending time with family, eating good food and playing with the little kids.

I'm not looking forward to the start of the work week tomorrow, but it is Tanner's last week of school, which makes next weekend that much sweeter.

2 comments:

Kerry said...

Thanks for letting us bring our crap out--sorry it turned out to be such a pain in the the butt!! We will do better next time! :)

Kim said...

Hmmm, I think you may have benefitted from reading my post about garage sales BEFORE having one yourself!! I will redirect you to this post the NEXT time you decide to do this!