Thursday, June 11, 2009

Sentiments of the Flood

We're looking forward to our weekend ahead camping at Kent Park (we hope). I say that because Kent Park doesn't take reservations, so we are taking our chances, packing the car, and hoping we drive up to an open spot.

We have only camped at Kent Park one time and it happened to be one year ago this weekend. It was a very memorable weekend as it was the same weekend our community was experiencing the flood. We had done what we could to help sandbag in preparation for the flood, and just before they closed down all the roads, we got by on our way to the campground. We spent the rest of the weekend watching the news in my parents' camper.

It's been a year of change and recovery for the CR area. Tanner and I were talking the other night about the ways the flood changed our lives. Though there are many ways we were changed, we agreed that our dog Marley is the biggest effect the flood had on us. We spent a lot of time volunteering at the temporary animal shelter set up after the flood. (I was unable to spend time in flooded homes because of an infections I got after helping my friend clean out their house). Although I already had Max, it broke my/our hearts to see these innocent little dogs caged all day, waiting for their owners to find them...some owners didn't even try. There were over 700 dogs at that shelter, not to mention all the cats.

In July 2008, Tanner and I adopted Marley (miniature poodle). He was a stray, and we assume, due to the flood. We had talked about the decision so much, like we were adopting a child. I really grilled Tanner about "what if something happens with us...where would Marley go?" (We weren't even engaged yet). Hearing and seeing Tanner's confidence about us adopting Marley was when I knew that Tanner was committed to our relationship. (sorry for the mushy stuff).
We love Marley so much and are thankful that the flood brought him to us.

No comments: