Sunday, January 31, 2010

Sunday Soccer

I've been playing soccer in Mount Vernon for the past few months. In the summer/fall I went with Tyler to play outdoor soccer in one of the city parks. Now that it is cold, we play in the old middle school gym. We have had as many as 18 and as few as 7 show up to play. I know it's not really competitive, but it is great exercise. Here are a few pictures of Tyler and myself playing this weekend.
We play a bunch of five-minute games for about 60-90 minutes. During that time frame I normally score about two goals. I much prefer to dribble around people and pass the ball. Those are my best soccer skills. I'm not as good at shooting. I can kick it really hard, and I'm pretty accurate, but I am also pretty timid when it comes to shooting. I almost always feel that someone else is in a better position so I need to find them and get them the ball.
Today was different, for some reason I decided that I was going to be a shooter. I scored so many goals that I stopped counting at one point. I know I had several games that I scored twice. I even scored three times in one game. If I were to guess, I think I must have scored ten times or more today.
I was one of the people that got to pick the three teams today. I picked a girl that can run forever and passes really well. I picked a guy that plays great defence. I also picked a guy that has great ball control and can anticipate what his teammates are going to do. The last player on my team joined late. She was also very competent when it comes to playing good defense. I have to credit my scoring today with the fact that they all were great passers and didn't shoot much themselves.
Next week, I'm sure I'm going to be back to scoring once or twice during the whole sessions. But I had a lot of fun this week!

2 comments:

E said...

No video, no proof, bro! ;)

Seriously though, get me some vid! I miss watching you guys play!

Tanner said...

I'm back to my old self. I only scored one goal this week. It was with 22 seconds left in the final match of the day.