Saturday, October 15, 2011

Fishing Weekend

Fishing weekend was a success this year. We didn't set a record for the most fish caught. We didn't catch the biggest fish in the lake. We didn't even hook a muskie. However we did have a lot of fun. Between the eight of us we landed 196 fish. I never pull my own weight. I only landed 13 I think. That was good enough for second to last place. Leaving me out of the running for the bottle bass trophy.

Day one was so windy we barely fished at all. In fact, after the first 45 minute outing, I was in first place with two fish. Within the first hour of day two, I was still in first place with four fish. That's about all the longer I could say that. Everyone else started netting fish left and right.

Normally we catch about even numbers of bass and northern pike. This year we caught about 80% bass. All the years of throwing them back has been paying off. Most of the bass we caught were around 15 inches or bigger. A few were bigger than 18 inches. The northern we caught were much smaller than normal. It seams that every year we catch at least one that hits the 30+ inch mark. Some years we all catch a 25+ inch northern. Not this year. They were short and skinny. Maybe next year they will grow a little?

Poker always goes well for me. I think I've only gone backwards once in the past 15 years. This year I came out ahead again. Not a big winner, but not a loser either. I had high hopes when my first hand I was dealt had four jacks. However when it's nickle a chip and 25 cent max bet, you can't get rich off of your family.

No comments: