Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Emotional Rollercoaster and Ultrasound!

After 4 days of various medications to help with morning sickness, last week I suddenly started to feel better! I wasn't sure if it was because I started drinking a protein shake in the middle of the night or if this was just a more "normal" pregnancy.

After about 2 days of feeling great and being excited about it, I started to wonder if maybe feeling great wasn't such a good thing. Maybe something bad happened to the baby. The following 4 days, I had convinced myself that it's possible I miscarried. Even though there were absolutely no other signs or symptoms, it just didn't seem right that I was suddenly not sick, when with Grayson I was sick for 20 weeks.

Luckily we had out 12 week doctor visit already scheduled for yesterday afternoon. We were very nervous going in, to the point that Tanner even had a plan lined up for a sub the next day and I almost cried when a co-worker said I looked pregnant (because I thought I wasn't anymore).

The doctor looked and looked and looked and LOOKED for the heartbeat with no success. I knew at that moment that I had lost my baby. She sent us to St. Luke's to get an ultrasound. She didn't even have us schedule our next "pregnancy" visit. Needless to say, we were devastated and didn't even know what to say to each other. We drove to St. Luke's and waited in 4 different waiting rooms before finally getting the ultrasound. Within seconds of having the paddle on my belly, she found the baby...

I can't describe the relief I felt when I saw our baby's heart beating!

We were so excited to see our tiny baby waving at us in the ultrasound! The heart rate was 163 bpm. The ultrasound indicated I might be due between April 30-May 6, but it's not a big enough difference to change my date from May 6. My placenta looks a little long and low, which could be an indicator of placenta previa (I had that with Grayson), but there is still plenty of time for it to correct itself.

It was an emotional rollercoaster, but the result was great!

1 comment:

Kim said...

What a worrier! I don't know where you get that! I'll bet you slept good last night after the good news. I'm glad you are feeling better.