Monday, June 6, 2011

A perk of being a teacher...

It's a well known fact that teachers are smart enough to have chosen a job where they can stay home for 10 weeks in the summer. Unfortunately, Tanner has never fully enjoyed this time off due to taking a summer job or doing masters classes. But not this year! Because Tanner graduated his masters program in May, he doesn't have classes to take, and will instead be a full-time stay at home dad this summer!

I was "lucky" growing up to have a teacher for one parent. It's such a wonderful thing for kids to be able to stay in the care of their parents instead of daycare or babysitter, when possible. Since having Grayson, I've realized even more the importance of this. I'm glad we have one parent as a teacher to provide additional time at home with our kid(s). I wish I could trade roles with Tanner for the summer, just to see what it's like to be a parent 24/7.

It's perfect timing because Grayson is a daddy's boy right now. Not in the sense that he doesn't like me, but more that he really especially likes Tanner.

So if you are in Cedar Rapids between now and August, give Tanner a call! I'm sure he's going to be seeking out as many free activities (including play dates and visitors) as he can for entertainment this summer!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I'm glad Tanner will be able to just enjoy his summer with Grayson this year. It is the rare summer that a teacher doesn't have classes to take or teach just to keep abreast of the newest ideas. I'm glad we sacrificed "things" so I could stay home as long as I did. When I went to work outside the home I found out that my dream job also allowed me to have a great schedule for a mom! I'm happy to see that you realize that. :)