Saturday, May 28, 2011

Backyard Gold

This spring and summer, our family has been spending a lot of time in the back yard. We have a cement pad at the bottom of our deck. Currently it holds our inflatable pool and a few of Grayson's outdoor toys. In the grass, we are in the process of putting together a swing set. When it's finished it will have a slide, two or three swings, monkey bars and a large platform for Grayson to play with his steering wheel. We also plan on putting our arbor back up this weekend. That's the one that my dad made so we could get married under it. Anyway, the reason for this post is to talk about the other thing in our backyard. Dog poop.

We spent so little time in the back yard at Valleyview that we never needed to do anything about the poop problem. Now that Grayson is walking/running all over, we need to be a little more careful about what he plays with in the yard. It's already hard to get him to stop putting rocks in his mouth. Just imagine... A few weeks ago, Grayson was walking in the grass with Trina and he stepped in a pile. Barefooted. I don't know what method she used to clean him, but I would think a wet wipe wouldn't be enough.

Rather than experiencing this again, we bought a pooper scooper. I was the first to use it and didn't enjoy the experience. I also had a winter's worth of efforts from the dogs to pick up. The next week it was Trina's turn. She worked at it for about five minutes and hated all of them. When she was finished, (maybe she just stopped, I didn't look around for more) she made me an offer.

If I solely take on the responsible for bagging the poop, she would take on any house chore. I promptly gave up dusting for the foreseeable future.

What would you make your spouse do if you were left in charge of picking up the poop?

1 comment:

Kim said...

At this house, I don't think we'd love a dog enough to do poop duty!!! Couldn't you teach them to go on a pad or something???? I'm sure you'll spend a LOT of time in that yard with Grayson.s