Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Our First Anniversary

Last weekend, Trina and I celebrated our first wedding anniversary. This is how it went.
On Saturday we decided to go to Table for One and get massages. I've never had a professional massage before. Trina wasn't sure I would like it. I don't really like people to touch me. Trina on the other hand loves them. Trina came home from a massage once and told me that massages are her new hobby. She tried to compare getting a massage to me playing softball on Monday nights. Let me know if you think she's crazy too.
We then went to Starbucks to get a free cookie and small hot chocolate. The coupon queen found a one day only special. After the hot drink we went to the movies. We decided to see Couple's Retreat after a referral from my parents. We both really enjoyed it.
Following the movie, we exchanged gifts and went out for dinner at Cibo Fusion. Trina and I went there for our rehearsal dinner one year earlier. It was fun to think about the hours leading up to our big day. Trina and I both tried something different. We've been watching the cooking shows a lot recently and I had no clue what scallops were. It was on the menu so I tried it. Alone they aren't anything special. However, with the noodles and sauce that was on the plate, I could have swore I was eating gold. It was terrific. Trina had a similar experience. She ordered the rib eye. That wasn't the best part of the meal. In fact, I would say that both sides were better than her steak. The menu said "white truffledmac & cheese, eloté, and sweet ancho horseradish sauce." Basically it was the best noodles and cheese ever. The other side was a very fancy version of and ear of corn. It was cooked in a special sauce and rolled in all sorts of spices. I didn't know vegetables could be so good! As I tried to leave, Trina suggested that we try a desert. We ended up with flaming fondue that featured strawberries, bananas, nuts, marshmallows, graham crackers, chocolate and carmel sauce.
This is a picture of Trina after she finished eating (insert joke here).
The next day we went to Central City to Pinicon Ridge State Park. This is the exact tree that we got married under a year prior. We took a walk with the dogs and talked about how the day progressed. The colors of the trees weren't as crisp as they were last year. Yet the park was still a beautiful place visit. I hope that returning to the park becomes a tradition for us.
Since Bud had to read all of the sappy stuff, I am leaving the last two pictures for him. Both the deer and the elk are fenced in at the park. This is the biggest rack I've ever seen in person (on a deer). I've also never been this close to an elk. It was really cool to see both of these beautiful animals standing feet apart.
Overall, this was a great weekend. I couldn't have had a better year with my beautiful wife.

4 comments:

Kim said...

Sounds like a great anniversary to me! Who thinks of these great ideas? I know Bud has never put this much thought into celebrating an anniversary, or anything else for that matter. Oh, and he loved the photos of the elk and deer.

E said...

Congratulations, guys! Seeing those colors behind you, take me back! Love you guys.

E

Tanner said...

Did you just throw Bud under the bus?

Kim said...

Okay, I guess I did kind of throw him under the bus! I just meant he isn't very creative when it comes to celebrations--like anniversaries or birthdays. He is always willing to go along with what someone else has planned.