Wednesday, July 1, 2009

There's no good title for a bunch of rambling.

As you can see, the results of our recent poll shows that the majority of people agree with me, that we should take "one last" vacation before kids. (Tanner voted which threw off the "no" responses). Yesterday I found out that I have 6.5 vacation days that need to be used by the end of the month. I'm ecstatic! It's is honestly going to be a little difficult considering I'm already only working 4 days a week. I can't even believe this is my biggest problem right now...boy I have it easy. When I found out about all of this time off, I immediately asked Tanner if he would agree to take a short/cheap vacation. After doing some looking and some thinking, we decided (against my deep desires) to stick to the original plan of being more active all summer long, versus taking one bigger vacation. I'm the kind of girl who thinks I should get a vacation every year, so it's been a struggle for me to stick with the plan.

The main reason we made this decision is because of money. We have worked so hard to pay off debt and have accomplished paying off $22,000 in about 7 months. We've nickeled and dimed (sp?) so much, clipped coupons, and found deals. It's tough to then consider spending $600-$1000 just for a few days. Beyond that, summer is the time for us to all get our medical things out of the way...so paying for vet visits x 2, plus flea/tick/heartworm treatments x 2 for the year, dentist visits, doctor visit, eye exams and glasses (and Tanner is probably going to need them for the first time too). It all adds up and it's all going to happen over the next 30-60 days.

Enjoying our vacation to Ixtapa- July 2008

In my post today I also wanted to address my recent job change. I read Belinda's post contemplating a job change and started to comment, but I ended up writing a novel. So here is how I respond to her decision:
Recently I changed positions within my agency. I was Development Director of Recruitment (DDR) and now I'm Development Associate (DA). Yes, that was a demotion by choice. The DDR position was HORRIBLY designed. Actually I don't think it was designed at all, instead it just happened. There was one person in the position before me who's personality was not one to speak her mind. Well I speak my mind. And when I tried the position for a year, I started talking to my boss and others at my level about the issues. Of course they had no idea how we were going to fix it. Then in December our agency started to experience the need for changed based on economic forces, and needed to downsize. And in the mean time, I had gotten married, which gave me something so much better than work to think about all the time. I no longer enjoyed working all the time with an unknown schedule. Work to live, don't live to work.

I was one of four leaders involved in the decisions for the agency. I saw the downsizing need as prime opportunity for me to change what I was doing. Long story somewhat short, I created a new position (DA) as a fix for the agency's issues and for mine.

Now I only work 32 hours a week compared to previously working up to 60, which means only 4 days a week. And I'm paid hourly, which I love! I actually make more per hour now then I did when I was salary. This position is by no means the perfect position for me, and I was afraid of that when I was considering the change. But what I've learned is that my time at home and with family is so much better now! I'm not longer missing out or late to things because of work. Tanner doesn't have to hear me complain all the time about work. I work AT WORK. I'm no longer spending time with one of my best friends (who is also a co-worker) talking about work, we can now enjoy our friendship. My happiness outside of work has increased so much that it makes up for the slightly less than perfect job. Especially when we have kids. I can't imagine wanting to spend an hour longer at work and away from my kids than absolutely necessary. I may be making less money, but my time with my family is worth more than some of the luxuries I would buy with the additional money.

Belinda, I think it sounds like you know exactly what you want to do, and I support you 100% in you decision- either way.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Yes, it is a tough life to think that your biggest problem is having 6.5 vacation days to use before the end of July!! You know, vacation days can be used to enjoy staying at home and doing things. Remember you used to sew and we do have Christmas coming up. Get that sewing machine out and show Tanner what you can do with it!!

Belinda said...

Thanks! I feel special! A personal post just for me??!! WOW! I know in my heart I want to be home more with the kids but I also know that maybe this isn't God's timing for me. Maybe if I wait until it's the right time then I'll be blessed and happy and all that good stuff. It's hard to listen to the will of God vs the will of ourselves sometimes. I'm hanging tight and I'm gonna continue to pray about it.