Saturday, November 13, 2010

A tough good-bye

Nearly 20 years ago, Pat (my "adopted grandma"), decided to pass on to my family an old upright piano. Tasha and I both learned to play piano on this old thing. Little did my parents know that introducing this piano into my life would forever change me.


When I saw Tasha taking piano lessons, I asked if I could too. So they signed me up. I practiced much less than I should have, but still loved playing. That piano helped me develop my innate musical skills. I used it to help me learn my vocal music and even play some of my clarinet music. It was there with me through many Share the Fun 4-H performances with my friends and was there when I was lonely enough at home to make cassette recordings of songs I knew.


My parents knew I was attached to this piano so they even took it with them when they moved, and I went to college. It stayed in their basement for 5 years, only getting played on weekends that I was home and mom would request "why don't you go play Fur Elise". When I bought my own house, my piano came out of the basement and home with me, much to Dad's dismay. It got a lot of use that year when I needed to figure out life like a grown up. Then it followed me to our current house, much to Brad's dismay. It hasn't gotten much use the past two years. I'm not as good as I used to be.


Now we are moving to our new house. Unfortunately no matter how you want to get in the house there are stairs, and stairs again once you're in the house. The poor piano has been through a lot through the years, except a tuning or maintenance.


It's been a really tough decision, but I decided to not take the piano on this move. I really want my kids to hear and learn music, but they need to hear the music somewhat in tune, and without missing notes (some keys didn't work). The past couple of weeks have been fun seeing Grayson pound on the keys. I hope we can find a play piano for Christmas or birthday for him.


I know I'll have another piano one day fairly soon. But right now I'm mourning the loss of an old friend. I feel like a writer without a pen, a pitcher without a ball, a dancer without any legs...or something like that. I hope the family who took it enjoys it as much as I did.

2 comments:

Kim said...

Your post brought tears to my eyes. I'm so glad the piano brought you such joy, and I hope you do have another one soon. I wouldn't want your talent to be totally lost, and your kids will love hearing you play.

Trilby said...

It brought tears to Mike's eyes too!! But his were tears of joy that he didn't have to move that heavy thing again!!! The boys will be disappointed that you don't have a piano anymore to. They loved to "play" it too!!